KANO STATE RADIO CORPORATION (RADIO KANO)
Radio Kano’s history is dated back to 1946, as the station was originally a branch of the Radio Distribution Services (RDS) established by the then British Colonialists. Two other Radio distribution services established in the country within the same period were in Lagos and Ibadan. The first officer-in-charge of the radio distribution service in Kano in 1946 was late Alhaji Bello Dandago (Sarkin Dawaki Maituta). When the station assumed the name of provincial broadcasting house some years later, it also had various veteran broadcasters as officers-in-charge at different times.
It was not until 1958 that a 1kw transmitter was installed in Kano with coverage of about 25–kilometer radius to serve Kano municipality. All the then provincial stations usually repeated the centrally produced or regional programmes originating little of local programmes of their own. Programming was further fragmented by the need to divide time among the national network in Lagos and the regional station at Kaduna (Bida: 1979).
It was these radio distribution service that metamorphosed to become the Nigerian Broadcasting Service (NBS) and subsequently the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) in 1956 with headquarters in Lagos (Mckay:1946). In later years, more stations were established in other provinces in the federation.
When states were created in the country in 1967, the Nigeria Broadcasting Corporation provincial stations in their respective states still maintained their identity. However, it was not until 1978, that the then Federal Military Government decided to reorganize the broadcast industry in the country. Consequently, decree No.8 of 1979 was promulgated and the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) became Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN). This led to the handing over by the federal military government all the NBC stations in the various States of the federation to their respective state governments to manage, thereby leaving only 4 FRCN stations in Kaduna, Enugu, Ibadan and the Lagos headquarters under the control of the federal government. Following the 1978 handing over, the defunct NBC station in Kano became known as Kano State Radio Corporation (Radio Kano). Radio Kano now has a second channel known as Radio Kano II FM stereo, which was established in 1986 and transmission started in 1987. The establishment of the FM channel is mainly for musical entertainment and for revenue generation since the FM system worldwide is mainly used for musical entertainment. The FM channel is the main source of revenue generation for Radio Kano.
At the moment Radio Kano has 6 Department each headed by either a Director or Deputy Director. The Departments are as follows: -
Admin & General Services
Radio Kano has its Headquarters at No.1 Ibrahim Taiwo Road, Kano which is popularly known as “Gidan Bello Dandago”. The head office houses the studios, Links and the FM transmitters. The station also has other AM Transmitting stations located at Tukuntawa and Jogana.
“Gidan Bello Dandago”.
No.1 Ibrahim Taiwo Road, Kano